Friday, January 28, 2011

What a difference a year makes...

This time last year I had made the decision to go to Burning Man. Only to find out that my one friend who had been trying to get me to go for years, was not going. That left me with a dilemma, not go, or go anyway. I chose to go anyway. And, started researching like a crazy mad woman. All that research and planning paid off and I had a wonderful 7 months preparing, even better time at the event and have gained so many new friends and changed my life in so many ways.

In the last year and half, I have lost friends. But I have gained even more. My friends who I have known for years and are still around, can see the major change in me. Often they will comment on it. This change is very hard for me to describe to my new friends, other than just a shift in thinking. No, things are not perfect and life happens. But, for the most part, I am happier and healthier than I have been in quite awhile.

After the burn, I jumped feet first into the local community here. Now, I REALLY wish that I would have just done that last year, BEFORE the burn. I was so scared though. So I didn't. But I realize now that I missed out on so much because I was too scared. So, advice for those of you on the fringe...just do it. Jump in! Attend a party. Attend a beer friday or potluck. Go up and talk to people. Most are actually nice and will let you in. Jump in, volunteer and get involved. Just do it.

This time last year I was madly doing research, trying to figure out what the experience was going to be like, what I needed to get, figure out, etc. This year, I am filled with more excitement than fear. Joy than being scared. I am surrounded by like minded people who care so much. It really blows me away how much I am cared for an loved. For who I am, not for the person that people *think* I should be. Instead of researching and wondering how to make the big journey to the burn, I am focusing on remaining items on working on me.

All while dreaming of big lofty things I want to do at the burn this year that I could not do last year. Example to this: I WILL get my body to the point that I can take a bike to playa! Last year, I knew that I would not be able to. Just the thought of going to the dessert for a week (turns out I went for 10 days), was freaking me out. I really did not think my body could take it. So, I just let the bike thing go. My body did amazing...so awesome. I was actually just in awe. So, this year...my goal is to get in shape and fit for my body to be able to be on bike on playa. It will happen!

Wow, this got really long. The point is this: I am so grateful for this past year. Full of love, gratitude, creativity and much more. I owe this to a number of people who have become close friends. And, allowing myself to open up and soak it up. I am so excited to see what is in store this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment